137. Decision. We decline to set aside TV channels for fixed licensed
backhaul use as requested by FiberTower at this time. As indicated above,
the Broadband Action Agenda recently indicated an intention that the
Commission initiate rule making proceedings to increase spectrum efficiency
and innovation in various frequency bands292 including the broadcast TV
spectrum.293 We intend to consider FiberTower's requests for spectrum for
fixed licensed backhaul to support broadband services in the broader context
of these future proceedings in order to better ensure a comprehensive
approach to wireless rural backhaul in these bands. We disagree with
FiberTower's contention that we should not delay in addressing its request
for access to the TV bands because it would be impossible for the Commission
to authorize licensed uses after unlicensed devices occupy the TV bands.
Both fixed and personal/portable devices are to rely on a TV bands device
database as their primary method for determining available channels. If the
Commission makes changes to the rules concerning permissible channels of
operation, imposes geographic area restrictions or makes other changes to
the technical parameters for TV bands devices, these will be taken into
account by the database administrator in determining available channels for
TV bands devices. Therefore, any TV bands device that operates on a channel
that is later designated for another use would cease operation on that
channel after it performs its daily database check and the database
indicates that the channel is no longer available for use. As we move
forward, however, we are interested in pursuing the question of whether we
can accommodate licensed rural backhaul in the white spaces within the UHF
bands. Therefore, Commission staff will evaluate this possibility over the
coming months, and will formulate and submit a recommendation on next steps
to the Commissioners by the end of 2010.

289 For example, see Community Broadcasters opposition at 3, Dell/Microsoft
opposition at 18, Google opposition at 19, PISC opposition at 2, and SBE
opposition at 12. WISPA believes that wireless backhaul could be implemented
in the white spaces by allowing 20 watts transmitter power in rural areas
rather than reserving 36 megahertz of spectrum as requested by FiberTower
and others. WISPA opposition at 12. As discussed above, we decline to
increase the power limit for fixed TV bands devices.

Respectively,

Rick Harnish

Executive Director

WISPA