At 9/25/2010 10:57 AM, MikeH wrote:
>   Does my memory serve me correctly that channels 3, 4, and 37 are out
>of the picture for use?

Yes.  3 and 4 are reserved because cable systems and other devices
use them for the analog feed to TV sets.  (The FCC forgot this
several years ago and gave a temporary license to an LPTV station to
operate on Channel 3 from a tower right near my house.  It knocked
out my cable boxes and VCRs.  I let the FCC know, in no uncertain
terms, that this violated a rule, which I cited, and that station
went off the air within a day or so.)  Channel 37 is clear for radio
astronomy, and allows low-powered medical devices.

>Some metropolitan areas use parts of 14 - 20 for public safety
>communications, right?

Yes; they're in the database and named in the rules.

>Do the above channels ALSO need a guard band, making 2 impossible to use
>and 5 the first real channel you can use?  Are 36 and 38 out the
>window?  One channel on either side of the public safety channel(s)?

2 and 5 are not protected, though some cable interests are unhappy
about it.  36 and 38 are not protected per se.  However, channels
14-20 are only usable for "portable" devices, which basically means
wireless mics.  In markets where those are used for public safety,
the first white channel on either side of 38 is reserved for wireless mics.

  --
  Fred Goldstein    k1io   fgoldstein "at" ionary.com
  ionary Consulting              http://www.ionary.com/