From: "Patrick Shoemaker" <shoemak...@vectordatasystems.com>
To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 4:55 PM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Fwd: EFF needs your help to stop the Senate's
DNScensorship bill

And here are mine, in case anyone wants to copy and modify:

Mr. Cardin:

I am writing as a Maryland resident, an Internet user, and the owner of
a Maryland-based Internet Service Provider that serves Maryland
businesses. I would like to voice my opposition to S. 3804, the
Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act.

I realize that combating software piracy, copyright infringement, and
counterfeit material is an important goal given the increasing
prevalence of these nefarious activities in today's online world.
However, the methodology proposed in this act to fight these
disreputable activities is not aligned with the best interests of
Internet users and network operators worldwide. Of particular concern is
the proposed ability of the US government to make alterations to the
Internet's Domain Name System (DNS) in order to limit access to domains
that are deemed to be supporting copyright infringement, software
piracy, or other illegal activity.

Please consider the following when voting on S. 3804 tomorrow:

-Allowing government control of DNS adds a layer of censorship to the
Internet as a whole. The commercial and public success of the Internet
is based in no small part to its open nature. Adding government
censorship to a key component of the Internet goes against the
principles that led to its success.

-Implementing government-based DNS censorship will add significant
administrative burden to network operators. This will result in
increased cost to consumers for their residential Internet connections.
Additionally, this burden will be particularly onerous for smaller ISPs
that can't leverage the economies of scale that nationwide operators enjoy.

-Censoring the Internet's DNS will surely result in the development of
alternative name-resolution services that circumvent the goals of COICA.
This will not only negate the purpose of the act, but will add an
unnecessary layer of complexity to the Internet as a whole. The net
result will be decreased network reliability and increased cost.

I would encourage the Senate Judiciary Committee to pursue alternate
means to limit illegal Internet activity. Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Patrick Shoemaker
Vector Data Systems, LLC

http://www.vectordatasystems.com