I see lots of discussion about the new 802.11n standard supporting
beam forming, and I'm trying to wade through the chipset ones (e.g.
Ruckus, Extricom, Meru, etc) and other solutions that claim to be more
standards based.

>From what I gather from the marketing literature, the various vendor
solutions direct the signal "more efficiently" towards specific
targets (focusing beam in certain direction, monitoring interference,
"interference nulling", etc), but that seems to have limited
effectiveness when it comes to receiving transmitted packets from the
client end (resulting in slow uplink?).  In some of these cases, the
receive antennas are just an omni antenna. (802.11 is not a timing
based protocol, so I don't see how beamforming benefits on the receive
side will ever happen)

So is the best that we can hope for with beam forming is faster
download but the same old upload?  How will the standard (once baked
in more vendor gear) do things differently?