A friend of mine has Meraki through a provider here in CA, and I'm
curious what others think about them and their niche (particularly those
who have found a great niche).

Personally, I don't see a solution like this taking off unless there is
the right demographic (poorer areas, underserved areas, certain
campuses, etc).  In main areas covered by 3G and affordable cable / DSL
(e.g. $15/mo DSL Extreme), there seems to be little reason to really
build out something like Meraki.

I could see it in, say, an apartment complex, particularly ones where
people are moving in and out and just want temporary access.  In these
cases, there is a way for the complex to at least pay for part of a
wireless solution for their tenants.

Another issue I see with Meraki is that for billing, it has to be an
open SSID.  What about problems such as Firesheep?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firesheep

Sure, the credit card info is encrypted, but once someone attaches to
the AP, then all of their traffic is clear text.  I don't see anything
in Meraki (at least the GUI I saw tonight) that prevents this sort of thing.