On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 12:30, RickG <rgunder...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, I havent analysed it yet but with all the facebook uploads, online
> backups, and email attachedments going on I wonder if that is the case?

First, by "very large files" I'm thinking tens of terabytes. Second, there's
only a benefit to jumbo-frames if EVERY device between the two endpoints
supports it. Chances are, the end-user's desktop doesn't support it (or
doesn't have it enabled), or you've got an old switch at a tower, or someone
at a co-lo on the other coast forgot to enable it. If any piece of gear
between the two doesn't support jumbo frames, your giant packet will get
fragmented anyway, and you may end up with worse performance.

Obviously, you want to bench-test for your particular application, but
outside of some specialized environments (like Internet2) jumbo frames don't
really win you very much.

David Smith
MVN.net