On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 11:28, Matt <lm7...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyone using one of these?  What are actual bandwidth requirements and
> usage?

Are you referring to this?
http://support.vzw.com/information/network_extender.html

I've not used that one, but I've used a similar device from Sprint. For
calls, the bandwidth used is negligible (40-50kbps).

The Verizon one supports EVDO data (Sprint's Airave femtocell didn't, IIRC),
so if the phone is being used for cellular data that will increase the usage
somewhat. Since the device requires broadband anyway, if the phone has
wi-fi, just use it instead of EVDO; you'll probably get better performance.
I vaguely remember reading that all calls and data transactions from a
femtocell like this have to be tunneled through the carrier's network for
CALEA purposes, which would obviously add latency, but I don't have a cite
for this statement.

David Smith
MVN.net