From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On
Behalf Of Fred Goldstein
Sent: Tuesday, December 21, 2010 1:43 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Flexible rules promised for wireless

At 12/21/2010 01:57 PM, MDK wrote:

>The whole problem was creating monopolies in the first place, and then
>pretending you can "fix" what you broke by half-baked notions of government
>created markets...

Uh, no.  Wireline is a natural monopoly.  That is NOT what it has
sometimes been taken to mean, an excuse to regulate.  Rather, it's an
economics concept, which means that the cost of entering the market
as a new provider is substantially higher than the cost to an
existing provider of adding incremental capacity.  In other words,
the incumbent can always underprice the new entrant, so it's
impossible to compete.

If you don't believe it's the case for wireline loops, think about
roads.  How much would it cost for a second road company to pull up
to your front door?  Absurd?  Wire is almost the same thing.  When
there is a natural monopoly, the holder of that monopoly has the
potential to abuse its power.  Hence such companies are normally
regulated.  That applies to electric distribution, natural gas
distribution, water, and until recently telecommunications.  These
are thus regulated "utilities", where being a utility means that the
company is entitled to make a fair profit, but that the value of the
product or service is assumed to be greater than its price, so the
monopoly utility can't charge whatever the market will bear (monopoly
rents).

Wireless is not, of course; market entry is regulated based on
spectrum allocation rules.  That too is now optimized for corporate
profit, not maximal public utility.  If it were not regulated to
protect license values, then there would be much more unlicensed
spectrum, since WISPs make much more efficient use of spectrum than
many of the licensees.

Telcos have been regulated as utilities since the 19th century;
telegraph was regulated before then.  And common carrier regulation
(the old concept of "bailment" translates to "neutrality" when it's
applied to bits) goes back for several centuries, when it applied to
horse-wagon and canal-boat carriers, and then to railroads.

>There is NOTHING broke about 'internet' because it hasn't been regulated.
Information service should not be viewed as a monopoly or utility
either.  HOWEVER, the FCC has created an untenable monster in which
ISPs are vertically integrated, from information down to physical
medium. so the natural break between the information service and the
telecommunications service (to use the somewhat broken TA96 terms) is
now gone.  That's the elbow joint in the arm of communications
policy.  Remove its flexibility, as was done a few years ago, and no
matter which way you point the arm, it can't do its job.  THAT is
what's broken.  It creates the *possibiilty* that the wire owner will
abuse the user's Internet information, with the user not having a
choice of alternative ISPs.  There was no public call for "network
neutrality" until after the FCC revoked Computer II in 2005.

>Your issue is nothing but a complaint about the results of what should
never
>have been done in the first place.

What should never have been done is remove the ISPs' open access to
the telcos' wire.

And what should not be done now is regulate small, non-dominant
non-telco ISPs the same way as the telcos.

  --
  Fred Goldstein    k1io   fgoldstein "at" ionary.com
  ionary Consulting              http://www.ionary.com/

----