I ran a shielded shireen ethernet cable up a tower today about 50-60 feet
maybe, the cable itself was maybe twice that length to run into a building.
 While the cable was being hoisted up I was holding the end and it got so
hot I had to let go.  There is an AM antenna running up the side of the
tower and its about 10KW from what I was told.

I am going to assume there is no way to successfully run ethernet up this
tower, I know others have tried and warned me it would not work but I had
to see for myself...  I believe it now :)

We do have power (standard outdoor SOOJ type cable 14/3) cable running to a
box 150 feet or so up there.  Ethernet runs from the box are about 5-15
feet max.  Mostly unshielded indoor cat5 (I inherited this and have not
switched out yet).  Any way the power works fine and the radios and cabling
have been there for years and is also fine.

My question - I was told the power didn't work until a wise old man put a
choke/filter of some sort on the power cable when it entered the box at
150ft.  I want to run a new cable and put up a new box, but I'd like to not
climb the tower and figure out what wise old man used.  I'd rather know and
have my new box ready for the beating before raising it up there.  I
usually use power filters on all our tower boxes (noise filter/supression
unit on incoming power like Square D Surgelogic type LC power filter /
surge protection 5 amp 120v).  Is this going to handle the AM problem or do
I need something more specialized?

Thanks

Scott Carullo
Technical Operations