On 8 February 2011 12:17, Tom DeReggi <wirelessn...@rapiddsl.net> wrote:

> Are you sure on that?
>
> I'm not an expert on CISCO, and could have it wrong but, I had thought....
>
> Known fact... Cisco 3550 (enterprise OS ver)  was an industry standard Gig
> router that also did OSPF and BGP, although now End of Lifed..
> It was easy and affordable to find on used market.  It didn't support newer
> things like MPLS packet sizes and such.
>
> However, I thought the 3560 was actually a newer model but also a "scaled
> down" version of the 3550 router. Either having less processing power or
> RAM
> limits.
> Therefore not very advantageous to get a 3560.
>
> I then thought the 3750 (enterprise OS ver) switch was the current day
> product equivellent to the 3550 spec, good for BGP and OSPF, but better,
> for
> example using the smaller FC iconnectors nstead of SC connectors, and
> possibly support of newer Cisco supported protocols also.
>
> So my question is.... Is the 3560 really an equivellent of a 3750 minus
> stackwise?

Correct on the stacking. The 3750 and 3560 are the exact same switch, but
one has stacking capabilities. You can turn a 3560/3750 in to a full blown
router, OSPF, BGP etc, but you aren't going to hold any external BGP tables,
for sure. Loading different SDM templates will give you up to eight routed
interfaces.

The 3550 is getting really old now, and technically has a lower powered
processor than the 3560, but does do a better job of doing ingress/egress
limiting on switchports.