On Sun, 2011-02-13 at 20:29 -0200, Rubens Kuhl wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 7:27 PM, Optimum Wireless Services
> <wil...@optimumwireless.com> wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > I was thinking of using MikroTik rb450g to balance four 5mbps/1mbps dsl
> > lines to replace TP-Link TL-R480+ which locks up from time to time.
> >
> > Just wanted to know how many of you use MT routerOS for load balancing
> > and how is working out for you.
>
> You could use RB-750 which is much cheaper than RB-450G to balance
> that little traffic, or RB-750G if you want to have room for growth.
> It works just fine... nth+conn-mark rules can provide very good
> per-connection load-balancing, and the quirks of some sites/networks
> that require to use fail-over instead of load-balancing are also
> doable.
>
> I really prefer building blocks instead of final products to do
> loadbalancing stuff, as there will always be another thing that
> doesn't mix up with it and you can always make it work.
>
> For two uplinks, it would look like this:
>
> 0   chain=prerouting action=mark-routing new-routing-mark=RotaGrupoA
>     passthrough=no in-interface=LAN
>     connection-mark=ConexaoGrupoA
>
>  1   chain=prerouting action=mark-routing new-routing-mark=RotaGrupoB
>     passthrough=no in-interface=LAN
>     connection-mark=ConexaoGrupoB
>
>  2   chain=prerouting action=mark-connection new-connection-mark=ConexaoGrupoA
>     passthrough=yes in-interface=LAN nth=2,1
>
>  3   chain=prerouting action=mark-routing new-routing-mark=RotaGrupoA
>     passthrough=no in-interface=LAN
>     connection-mark=ConexaoGrupoA
>
>  4   chain=prerouting action=mark-connection new-connection-mark=ConexaoGrupoB
>     passthrough=yes in-interface=LAN
>
>  5   chain=prerouting action=mark-routing new-routing-mark=RotaGrupoB
>     passthrough=no in-interface=LAN
>
> (and then two default routes, each one tiead to one of the routing marks)
>
> Four uplinks require more chains with nth=4,1 then nth=3,1, then
> nth=2,1 and then the last uplink. You will also need the "no
> load-balance" rules prior to this rule group doing some form of
> fail-over.
>

> Rubens

Thanks Rubens for your reply.

I was playing around with a spare rb433 doing something similar to what
you just posted (nth+conn-mark rules) but, things were not working
properly. I noticed my connections were really really slow, I don't know
if I did something wrong.

One other thing, how about fail over? If one line goes out would the
other 3 work and that other line would be ignored until is back up? How
can that be done?

I would also love to prioritize traffic, SYN ACK flags and DNS be on the
highest priority, etc...

I know is too much but, would like to do something like that, I don't
know if all these are doable at the same time.

Any suggestions?