At 2/14/2011 11:30 AM, John Scrivner wrote:
>I think we should consider supporting it only as our fallback
>position. I think our primary mission should be on bringing awareness
>that it makes no sense to raise government money by selling off the
>one asset (spectrum) required to bring affordable and plentiful
>broadband to the masses to the highest bidders and then turn around
>and pay those same bidders to build broadband.
>
>It is insane.

Only if you step outside from the belly of the beast and look at it
objectively.  That is just *so hard* for the insiders to do...

(Of course when I point out the same thing to netheads, that TCP/IP
is terribly obsolete, they look at me like I'm nuts, but then they're
inside the belly of their beast too.)

>Just give us the spectrum. We'll build the damn broadband. It is that
>easy. The "voucher" should be the exclusive spectrum license granted
>to those who build the tower and serve the broadband. Why do we have
>to have auctions, USF and go broke with paying out trillions in
>stimulus.
>
>Free Spectrum Licenses = Universal low-cost broadband. Problem solved.
>Scriv

Good idea.  Of course it doesn't fly with the FCC, and for the
silliest reason:  The people in charge of "broadband" and USF are the
FCC's Wireline [prevention of] Competition Bureau, while auctions
belong to the Wirelss Telecommunications Bureau.  WTB will no nothing
to help WCB.  Each has its own metrics.  WTB's is auction revenue, so
free spectrum would hurt their metrics.  And WCB's subsidiary USAC
can just raise taxes.

I actually proposed this once and the results were "interesting":

A brief, sad study in how the FCC reads Comments

     Fred Goldstein,  November 2003
http://www.ionary.com/ion-FCC-comments.html

  --
  Fred Goldstein    k1io   fgoldstein "at" ionary.com
  ionary Consulting              http://www.ionary.com/