On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 08:44, Tom DeReggi <wirelessn...@rapiddsl.net>wrote:

>  I just bought a copy of Dennis Burgess's "Learn Router OS" Book.
> I have to say, I felt it was very well written and laid out intuitively.
> For those that haven't seen it, and have new techs needing to be introduced
> to Mikrotik, I highly recommend it.

There is a lot of good knowledge in there, but it was hard to find - in part
because the page numbers are on the inside, by the spine, instead of on the
outer corner of the page where they're supposed to be. Lots of typographical
errors, a few spelling errors, lots of awkward-sounding first-person voice.

Maybe I've been spoiled by O'Reilly's high standards for technical books --
or maybe I'm nitpicky because I was a newspaper copy editor during college
-- but it really seems like Dennis' copy editor fell asleep. I still have it
on the shelf, and it's not bad, but it could be a lot better. I'd jump all
over a copy of "Learn RouterOS, Second Edition," though, with a better index
and a bit of polish.

David Smith
MVN.net