We have a 1600' ½ Braided no stretch rope from Pelican.  It is 130lbs and we
keep it in a plastic 55gal drum.  We have never had a tangle in it.  We just
clip a carbineer on the top of the barrel so the end can never get looped under
and make a knot.  We also have a 600' 3/8" that we keep in a plastic tote.  If
you start from one end and feed it in the barrel or tote and attach the
trailing end to the tote it will always come back out the same way it went in.
We have even tipped the barrel over and had it roll around.  As long as you
start pulling it back out by the trailing end it will come out smooth.  We use
a "cheap 1000' " ¼" yellow rope to climb up and run it through the block.  Then
drop a weight down and pull up the big rope with the cathead.

Same thing with trotlines.  I put them in a bucket and when I tie them to a
tree just take off with the boat and it comes right back out the way it went
in.  We have the world record class catfish here so my trotline is ¼" braided
nylon;-)
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/outposts/2010/07/missouri-fisherman-lands-record-breaking-130-pound-catfish.html

We don't have antennas at 700' any longer so if somebody needs the 1600'r, it's
for sale.  It is factory spliced (braided) at 600'.  I paid $1200 for it and
would take $800.  It has only been used a couple times and kept indoors.

http://pelicanrope.com

Jim Patient

Link Technologies, Inc.

314-735-0270