Its not the only thing. The issue is there is a TON of Chinese rope on the market with all kinds of claims. A good portion of it is crap.

It also depends on what the application is. If you are using it in a rope grab type situation where you are climbing or descending on a static line then there are lengths of 5/8" polyester rope that is used when properly terminated to a secure anchor point capable of withstanding the shock of the climbers butt falling the preset distance before the rope grab locks in.

If you are descending then you should be using (at a minimum) 7/16" Kernmantle static rope or something similar WITH a rope grab line (as above) or an SRL (Self Retracting Lifeline. This is a self contained unit that has aircraft type wire cable the will lock up when it detects a free fall condition).

BUT... There are a ton of other issues. Type of harness used. Type and length of fall arrest tether on the dorsal D ring. Type of training. etc., etc.

I don't know the exact definition of a lifeline to be able to give it here. Its probably something like " A line made of rope or wire cable with sufficient load rating to support the free fall distance of a 300 lb person a distance of 6 feet without causing death or significant injury".

Hope that helps....

-B-

On 4/27/2011 8:49 PM, Josh Luthman wrote:

So NFPA sticker is the only thing?  100% of them are good?