Cost effective depends on your goals.

Its nice to see products comming out like APEX9, enabling $6900/link pricing
standard, which are fully feauture rich to latest standards.
366mbps is a lot of bandwdith for most people.
And companies like Solectek offering discounts on their older generation model,
that are still good upto 300mb, and had amazing even lower pricing.(note they
also have new generatin products)
Those are all great examples of more "cost effective".

However, I'd like to point out Trango BRoadband's latest models that support
Compression and that they are awesome. The compression really works at less
than 1ms, and I've seen anywhere from 1.5 to 4X capacity increase compressed,
allthough spec sheets tend to advertise 2x to be conservative.  Its obviously
more cost effective to buy 1 radio with Compression, than 2 radios without to
get the same speed, if need more capacity than 1 radio can provide, or if you
cant find another free channel or large channel.  What do you do if you wanted
a 50mhz channel, but you only found a 30mhz one available in your freq
coordination?  The answer is use a radio with compression.

Whats most cost effective, is getting the best $ per mb, not necessarilly best
$ per link, and knowing that each MB is a resource that can be resold for a
higher reoccurring profit. More bandwdith equals more potential profit.

You need to consider your site requirements, and labor involved. Its more cost
effective, to put up an all-outdoor CAT5 Licensed radio unit, if replacing a
pre-existing all-outdoor CAT5 5.8G link, being able to re-use preexisting
cabling. Or if you are paying for colo space per months, its more cost
effective to use a little POE indoors mounted to a wall, instead of a rack.
You could easilly assess a $2000 cost savings on install labor and supplies
selecting an all-outdoor unit instead of Split archetecture.

In the long run, you might find a split archetecture to be more cost effective,
considering you only have to stock one model of Indoor Unit for all freqs and
all sides of links, if the IDU was designed as a multi-band type.

If you bought one brand of radio for every link, you might see a cost savings
in NOC support labor and development, as software OS and training became
standardized network wide.

I can tell you the first step is to define the need. Second step is defining
what product will be most costeffect to solve that need.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband