On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 11:15, Fred Goldstein <fgoldst...@ionary.com> wrote:

>  (top posted)
>
> Often that works, Sam. When it's a simple dialogue over one issue, then
> sure, top posting works.  Where insertion-posting works better is when
> replying to individual paragraphs or sections separately.  I have been
> known to write very long emails, as have some of my correspondents... and
> this way the specific points are answered in situ.

Some folks have been using email since the late 70s, before there was
really such a thing as a full-screen text editor (may the spirits have
mercy upon you if you remember edlin, for instance), which explains
bottom-posting (it was the only viable way to do it).

Inline posting seems more common among people who started communicating
online in the 80s (it was common in Fidonet BBS messaging), and when emails
took several days to get from one place to another, the context probably
was valuable to help you remember where you were in a discussion.

Top-posting became more common when email became more accessible to the
general public, along with the rise of the Internet generally, probably
starting in the early 1990s.

This doesn't explain why I prefer bottom-posting, as I'm too young to
remember anything before the mid-90s, but (shrug)

David Smith
MVN.net