At 12/21/2011 02:21 PM, Adam Greene wrote:
>This operates on 10.322 GHz - 10.574 GHz.
>
>Is this unlicensed? If not, is it possible to buy a license from the FCC?
>
>Looks like a good product.
>
>I did call the FCC and was told that this would probably fall under part
>section 101 of the rules, subpart G, and if it operates on 5MHz
>channels, it might be possible to obtain an area license for the
>frequency. They directed me to call the Wireless Bureau to find out for
>sure. I guess that will be the next step.
>
>Just wondering if anyone else already knows any of this stuff.

That product doesn't have FCC approval.  It's aimed at Europe.

In the US, 10.0-10.5 is primary for government radiolocation (RADAR),
secondary for amateur.  10.5-10.66 is covered by Subpart G,  That's
"Digital Electronic Message Service", a split-frequency (FDD)
point-to-multipoint service where the master and all nodes are
licensed.  Its technical requirements are pretty stringent so unless
UBNT specifically built for it, it probably wouldn't pass.

I don't actually know of anyone using DEMS licenses at this time.  I
suspect it is a vestige of 1980's XTEN.  (Once upon a time, Xerox
wanted to become a Player in telecom.  It got the FCC to allocate a
10 GHz band for a PtMP WLL service it wanted to rollout, and it
bought the undersea carrier WUI... and then abandoned the whole thing.)

  --
  Fred Goldstein    k1io   fgoldstein "at" ionary.com
  ionary Consulting              http://www.ionary.com/