On Jan 26, 2012, at 11:22 PM, John Scrivner wrote:
> Here are my predictions based partly upon the acquisitions we have
> seen of Atheros by Qualcomm and now this latest play into Wifi by
> otherwise generally licensed zealots of the mobile world:

[snip]

> I predict we'll see all this come to pass by 2017-18. We'll see how
> clear my crystal ball is in a few years. I hope you guys will remember
> this then and be sure to pull it up and make fun of me for being so
> far off....or not!    :-)

I predict you'll see it well before that.

Someone else in the thread mentioned Comcast and Time Warner planning to roll
out thousands of access points. Remember that both of these companies are also
in the cellular game now.

What's (one of) the biggest problem(s) cellular carriers are facing right now?
The explosion in data traffic.

They *need* to offload as much data traffic off of their networks as they can.
They simply cannot handle the projected long-term growth in data traffic.

Enter 802.11u.

--
Jeremy L. Gaddis    e: jer...@as54225.net
Network Engineer    m: +1.812.865.0581