I have been involved with this for a while.

It is simply "Muni WiFi", but owned/operated/funded by the local cableco.
The cable companies have been stringing up strand-powered APs for a few
years along some of their routes. In underground areas they have some that
are mounted below the surface with the antenna mounted flat under the cover
to the enclosure.  Most of the rest look like cable amplifiers with a couple
of short (6") white plastic antennas. Some companies are using Cisco gear,
like the model 1522 but Bel Air Networks is Comcast's choice.  Comcast has
Philly done.  Optimum Cable and Time Warner have done lots of NY and NJ.
All this says is that, since cablecos are really not competitors in the same
market, why the heck not make a deal where they add each other's SSIDs on
all the networks.

The hope is that they will get lots of money for cellular offload of data
from phones over WiFi as the cell companies strike deals with the cablecos.
When I have tried the NY/NJ systems, I can use my Comcast cable login from
back in Georgia and I get around 1-7 Mb/S.

For WISPS, the downside of this is that there are hundreds, if not thousands
of WiFi devices located at street level, most running maximum power and
transmitting on 2.4 and 5.7 GHz, thus raising the noise floor to tremendous
levels.  One project I am working on is a City surveillance camera network
and the noise from these now has the noise level on my rooftops up to
between -80 and -87 and any backhaul that was on 5.8 now is faced with worse
noise than that in the direction the dish is pointed.

ralph