For the purposes of these maps it doesn't really have to be that exact.  Close,
yes.  But exactness isn't needed.

marlon

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Cameron Crum
  To: WISPA General List
  Sent: Friday, May 25, 2012 10:07 AM
  Subject: Re: [WISPA] What you can do!

  Accurate propagation studies require a lot more than just submitting
coordinates, heights and frequencies. You really can't just use some set of
default numbers for all the parameters involved. You need antenna patterns,
gains (on both ends), C/I values, noise figures, and a whole host of other
info. This doesn't even include optimizing for clutter categories and
elevations. If you don't have this, you might as well just draw circles as it
would be about as useful. I spent a lot of years making good money doing just
this for the cellular industry. They understood that designing a network
incorrectly had dire financial consequences. We on the other hand seem to think
of prop studies as an after thought. While I know that we have to go where the
towers are and don't have the resources to build where we want to get an
optimized network, we should still take it seriously and do it right when we
decide to actually perform the study.

  Cameron

  On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 11:50 AM, Matt <matt.mailingli...@gmail.com> wrote:

    > Someone asked on the Members List what they could do to help the overall
    > cause of trying to get/protect spectrum and to avoid CAF/USF pitfalls.
    > Thought it would be appropriate here as well:

    One thing I always thought might be helpfull. Allow all WISPA members
    to submit all there tower coordinates, heights and frequencies to
    WISPA.  Run propagation studies on sites for them if they allow such
    data to be displayed on a Google Map on WISPA's site with the
    propagation patterns from all other members on it.  WISPA would have
    benefit of true map and users would have benefit of getting copy to
    use themselves.