At 5/29/2012 12:40 PM, MarlonS wrote:
>Right.
>
>And that's why we still have to fight they current rules as proposed.

Trouble is, that rule already passed.  CAF now "will" subsidize "broadband".

>We've made the statement that if any company offers un subsidized service
>then no one should get a tax payer funded leg up in the market.
>
>Under the current rules a SINGLE company has to provide both *facilities
>based *voice and broadband without subsidies before the faucet is shut off
>to the USF/CAF recipient.

Yes, and WISPA has petitioned to change that detail, though whether
they accept it is anybody's guess.  Now is a good time to add voice
to your product mix if you don't have it yet.

I did receive in the morning mail two Notices of Appeal.  They're
from groups of rural ILECs who are unhappy with the other changes in
the CAF order.  In particular, the FCC is limiting support to the
highest-cost ILECs, and using TeleAtlas data to determine the size of
their service areas.  Apparently the TeleAtlas maps omit some
territory.  It's sort of hard to figure out where a wireline
company's turf is when their density is less than one sub per square
mile.  They do theoretically file maps with their tariffs, but
they're hard to find, usually fuzzy from decades of copying, and not
available in electronic form.  Hence very very costly GIS maps from
TeleAtlas are assembled over time and may not be accurate.  It
strikes me as rather strange that there is no official electronic map
of ILEC or even USF-recipient turf, so they are still arguing over
it.  And that's easier to map than wireless coverage.

The currently-open Further Notice of Proposed Rulemaking is over how
to change the way USF taxes work.  They are looking at several
options.  Among them,
- tax ISPs
- tax telephone numbers
- tax circuits based on size, not cost

The latter two are gimmicks.  The first one threatens WISPs.