 From: "Faisal Imtiaz" <fai...@snappydsl.net>
Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2012 1:59 PM
To: wireless@wispa.org
Subject: Re: [WISPA] EOIP/GRE Performance

Take a closer look at what the Cable Package you / your customer have..

They are all bursty packges, and it is fairly common for the Cable Co's to
allow "http" traffic to burst, while throttling the other types of packets,
(makes for nice speed test results).

If you are shaping traffic or doing QOS, I would suggest that you setup
your limits based on the lower (minimu) set of number that the Cable Co
packages describes.. (its the stuff written in fine print !).

:)

Faisal Imtiaz Snappy Internet & Telecom 7266 SW 48 Street Miami, Fl 33155
Tel: 305 663 5518 x 232 Helpdesk: 305 663 5518 option 2 Email:
supp...@snappydsl.net
On 5/30/2012 1:52 PM, Nick Olsen wrote: Afternoon All,

We've got a few locations that we service with a dedicated connection of
ours. We extend OSPF to our router on site..etc.etc..
If the customer would like. We let them purchase a cable connection from
the local cable company for backup.

We create a EOIP or GRE tunnel over this cable connection back to our main
POP. And just run it at a higher OSPF cost.

This is all well and good, Here's the problem.

The cable connections are normally 50Mb/s down, 5Mb/s up.
If I run a bandwidth test inside the tunnel, I can only get 25-30Mb/s
down.
Outside the tunnel, It does the full 50Mb/s.

This is the same for every cable connection we have. They are all
terminating back to a RB493G in our rack sitting on GigE. I can even run
multiple bandwidth tests to all of the locations and get an aggregate of
>200Mb/s but no more then 25-30 to any single endpoint.

And ideas?

Nick Olsen
Network Operations (855) FLSPEED  x106