From: Greg Ihnen
Date: 9/22/2012 5:34:47 AM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: [WISPA] Can they really do this?

There's a current debate raging right now on the NANOG list about the ins
and outs of setting up large temporary networks for things like conventions.

This one post caught my attention. Has anyone heard of a WiFi AP that will
spoof neighboring networks to intentionally interfere with them, not by
occupying/jamming the spectrum in a brute force way, but rather by
impersonating the other network and rejecting new associations?

The quote:

> One of which I forgot to mention. Many of the hotels (I believe all
> Hilton properties at this time) have sold the facilities space for their
> wifi network to another company. They CAN'T negotiate it with you,
> because they don't own it any more. And most of these wifi networks have
> stealth killers enabled, so that they spoof any other wifi zone they see
> and send back reject messages to the clients. So you can't run them side
> by side.

Greg