On Oct 13, 2012, at 11:00 PM, Butch Evans <but...@butchevans.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2012-10-13 at 23:43 -0400, Faisal Imtiaz wrote:
>> I dunno about that.. While I can understand everyone wanting to have
>> only relevant discussion on the main list...
>
> Question is, what do those who complain consider "relevant"?  Every list
> I'm on has the same set of topics to some degree.  UBNT, Mikrotik,
> Canopy (Cabmium or whatever), WISP business, etc.  While there ARE lists
> created specifically for these topics, they all are made up of WISPs and
> people will ask their question where they are most comfortable...NOT
> where it is most appropriate (if that is different).  My Mikrotik list
> has been rather quiet lately, but even on a Mikrotik specific list,
> there are other topics that come up.  I think people should just create
> better filters for their email (unless you use windows or gmail, which
> limits your ability to create good filters).  Alternatively, instead of
> posting ANOTHER off-topic message whining about an off-topic message,
> why not send a PRIVATE message to the moderator asking THEM to address
> the issue.  Looks like I'm gonna have to figure out how to match this
> type of whining in a regex so I don't have to see it anyway.

FWIW I think it is better to think about lists in terms of the community
represented and not the official topic of conversation. This is why AFMUG along
with the general & members lists are so popular and the topicification of P15 &
WISPA results in fairly dead subject matter lists.

NANOG is a fairly general list as well that seems community centered. Outages &
x-NSP are the only dedicated topic lists that I'm aware of that actually have
enough traction to be useful.