absolutely ; but i know better than to turn this into a political discussion :-D

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Paolo Di Francesco
  To: WISPA General List
  Cc: CBB - Jay Fuller ; memb...@wispa.org
  Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 11:02 AM
  Subject: Re: [WISPA] [WISPA Members] City teams up with local WISP to provide
hotspots

  Hi Jay

  that's the point: in most cases "free"="paid with my taxes"

  So, the question is if we really need that type or market, i.e. a
  service that is paid with my taxes. I am not talking about "essential
  services" nor I am talking about "high prices"
  An example of an "essential service" to me, would be a service that
  helps the poor people to get a school degree or decent health
  And regarding the price, it's few bucks if you REALLY need it NOW and
  HERE. Otherwise the user con wait to be home to see "if somebody posted
  something on facebook"

  Therefore personally I am against any form of "free=paid with my taxes".
  Some collegues and we offer free limited hotspot access in order to get
  access and more attention from potential customers. But that's MY
  investment not the investment of my taxes :)

  Just my 2 Euro cents
  Paolo

  > We did "free public wifi" for about 10 city properties back in 2006 or
  > so.  Made some good money
  > installing and configuring / supporting the project ; but as soon as the
  > grant money behind it ran
  > out , so did the "free" access.
  > The city kept one hot spot out of about nine - and it's in the most
  > illogical place (behind a city building)
  > I think they kept it so the police dept could pull in there and do some
  > things....
  > We had it at public ball parks, the civic center, lots of public areas.
  > We could have offered to keep it "live" or move it to a paid model, but
  > as part of the grant they were
  > awarded they were required to purchase the equipment - so we didn't even
  > own the SMs at the sites,
  > just the access point they were delivered from.

  Ing. Paolo Di Francesco

  Level7 s.r.l. unipersonale

  Sede operativa: Largo Montalto, 5 - 90144 Palermo

  C.F. e P.IVA  05940050825
  Fax : +39-091-8772072
  assistenza: (+39) 091-8776432
  web: http://www.level7.it