On 5/20/2013 11:12 AM, Matt Hoppes wrote:
> Hi All,
> Is anyone aware of a MUX that will let me MUX together T1s (needs to be
> transparent) and Ethernet?  I need to MUX them together on one end, and
> then unMUX on the other end.  Again... it all needs to be transparent.

What is the underlying physical layer, asynchronous (Ethernet, including
a typical WISP radio) or isochronous (like a DS3)?  There are different
muxes for each.  In the RAD catalog, for instance, the RICi family
passes Ethernet over isochronous circuits (like native T1s and DS3s).
The IPmux family passes T1s over native Ethernet.

Now one more thing to think about.  If you're carrying T1s
transparently, you may need to pass the timing.  I've run into cases
where the VoIP provider didn't realize that supplying the timing was
required. Often the remote end T1 can just be clocked locally, and
there's no need to pass timing across the Ethernet.  But if the customer
needs you to be a timing source, you may need to use one of these two
methods:

In one case it is straightforward -- when the physical layer is itself
isochronous (self-clocked); that's how SONET and DS3 work, for instance.
  A mux for that can just pass timing natively, if you set it up right.

If you're carrying the T1s over an asynchronous native medium like
non-synchronous Ethernet (some Ethernet PMDs are synchronous and pass
along timing, especially at 10G, but most aren't), and the T1s need
timing, then you may need to supply the timing independent of the
physical layer.  The usual way to do this is PWE3, Pseudowire Emulation
over Ethernet, which is what the IPmux does; it's an option in Cisco
(and many other) media gateways too.

--
  Fred R. Goldstein              fred "at" interisle.net
  Interisle Consulting Group