I would second recommendations for UniFi APs.  Along with a Mikrotik box (I
personally like the $60 RB750GL for small deployments) to manage DHCP lease
assignment, do hotspot stuff, and manage the VPN tunnel back to
headquarters.  That is, UniFi requires the java controller to sit on the
same local network as the APs, so a work-around is to have the Mikrotik
tunnel a VPN to your cloud server (or whatever) where the UniFi controller
lives.  You can also run your own hotspot server, and use some example PHP
code provided by UBNT to integrate into existing infrastructure.

UniFi runs just fine on $80 Picostation M2's, if you flash them with that
airos2unifi.bin binary floating around UBNT support forum.

If it's critical to support 'any' APs, maybe look into flashing those APs
with OpenWRT, and then use a Mikrotik for the hotspot and lease assignment,
coupled with a RADIUS server somewhere in the cloud.  This will likely send
you down the the path of building your own system, as Scott describes, and
I agree about being wary of the scope of such a task, from being in the
midst of doing this myself.

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 11:13 PM, Scott Carullo
<sc...@brevardwireless.com>wrote:

> Make your own web pages to collect money however you see fit, use Mikrotik
> hotspot to handle the magic stuff, use whatever radios you want.  Rolling
> your own system takes a respectable amount of work and skill but there is
> nothing like it once done because you control every aspect of it - how it
> looks, how it sends emails to your staff or customers and whats in those
> emails, how it takes the money, options for service lengths - just every
> aspect is completely customizable.
>
> If thats beyond the scope of what you are able to accomplish, I'm sure
> there are lots of other good suggestions people are offering as well.  Just
> letting you know how we do it and it works super fantastic for a long time
> now.  Programming skills required...
>
> Good luck
>
> Scott Carullo
> Technical Operations