From: "Erik Anderson" <erik.ander...@hocking.net>
To: wireless@wispa.org
Sent: Friday, August 23, 2013 9:05:31 AM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Latest trend for heavy wooded areas

Yes, but wind load is dramatically different.

Bottom line is there is simply not enough demand for high windload antennas to
justify the compliance risk. UBNT was "safe" until they started making some
decent money. Then, after massive legal bills, they were forced to implement
DFS because their customers were not being compliant. Production line had to be
modified, coding had to be done to appease the FCC and their communications
lawyers. It was not UBNT's fault, but in the eyes of our beautiful regulators
it was. In the 5.x range, higher gain is manufactured due to licensed
frequencies being available, and thus the ability to shift liability while
increasing demand.

As I said, the problem is the regulations, not the manufacturers. But if you
disagree, you just might have another business opportunity.

I am not trying to argue. I am not happy about the regs/equipment limitations.
I use 900 mhz a lot. I would love to take some 4W transceiver amps in the 900
range and throw in 17 dbi antennas (I know of a few installations that have
done this). But just because one can get away with it does not mean it is good
business practice. The public sector does not seem to worry about compliance.
Why not? Perhaps the WISPS should simply start filling out FCC forms reporting
violations from the smart meters. Or better yet, start writing press releases
about smart meter non compliance with the regulations and getting the releases
into the hands of the smart meter activists (start with infowars.com and
drudgereport.com) who can flood the FCC with reported violations. That seems
like an activity WISPA could handle. If this was done, I suspect the
regulations would change which would result in equipment being available.