Funny to see this today. I was upgrading a customers equipment today who
works for the Electric company that provided service for BPL here, until it
failed.

He was telling me how they are still, after two years, finding and pulling
the equipment off their poles and piling them up in a heap.

I would like to make a correction on A above. It was not a trail and it did
not fail due to ham radio interference.

This one company walked away after failing due to the technology... after
spending well over 130 million dollars of tax payer money. I would suggest
twice that in order expenditures, such as the direct costs to our local
Electric Cooperative company. The best speeds obtained were 4-5, but 90% or
more was less then 400k!! Fact, I replaced many of these, including a
manufacturer two blocks away from the BLP NOC, who had 300k D and 45k U!

The technological issues were plenty, but the reason they failed, went
bankrupt, was because the business model did not match the technology
reality. When a lightning storm came through, it would take out several
relays which were used to bypass pole transformers. Then, not the ISP, but
a certified electrician and line man had to do the repairs... usually
several down a route at great expense. Storms were draining the money...
until tornadoes in Alabama threw in the last straw... so many outages on
poles combined with loss revenue... killed the company.

For that kind of money, a WISP could have built dozens of 110' towers
across many counties and delivered many times the speed.

What a loss... what a waste... this is a hidden story where the funding
(granting) agency should have been hung.

As for home automation... this stuff has been around for many years. Using
Radio Shack control switches, I automated a home in the early 80s. I
deautomated it in the early 90s before selling the house.... the reason...
after a few short years, most control units had been fried from normal
surges in the electric system (storms).

SCS
  Clay Stewart
  CEO, Tye River Farms, Inc.,