For most of our folks we use a combination of the Dude from Mikrotik and
Nagios, and usually throw in Cacti.  The dude is easy to understand, doubles
as network documentation, and is good for the CSR folks to look at a glance.
Dude can also replace Cacti if you desire.  It just doesn’t create pretty
graphs.  We mainly use cacti for co-lo and bandwidth customers.  It
calculates 95th percentile internally. You can also setup cacti to graph all
kinds of stuff you don’t necessarily want to monitor, but are helpful to
keep track of. For example, wireless signal/ccq/jitter/whatever, BGP routes,
temperature, voltage, and other SNMP data.

Nagios is great at knowing the difference between latency and a link
actually being down.  It has a ton of extra knowledge about stuff you don’t
find in the Dude.  Nagios has a learning curve for sure, but it’s worth it.
If you use the newer versions or even the paid version that learning curve
isn’t as steep. Nagios also can do distributed monitoring to split up load
or make your monitoring a little more fault tolerant.

My monitoring box has a VM with Dude,  a VM with Nagios, and a VM with
Cacti.  The only reason Cacti is separated is because I like to use
cacti-ez.  It sets everything up and away it goes.

Justin

--
Justin Wilson <j...@mtin.net>
http://www.mtin.net <http://www.mtin.net/blog>