There are two things that you need to think of and I’m sure different vendors
call it different things, so let me go in depth on this.

One method is to find a access point that has been plugged into the switching
system of a network.  Think, a business that someone plugged in a Linksys to or
something.  This is accomplished typically, by sending that access point data,
and seeing what “swtichport” it comes in on, then turning off that switch port.
 THIS IS ALLOWED.  Basically detecting that a rouge AP is on managed or
switched infrastructure.   This would NOT affect any kind of personal hotspot,
such as a LTE hotspot, as there is no port to turn off, and there for the
access point would operate normally, but it would also not be considered a
rouge access point.

The other kind, is the one most people think of, find a rouge AP that should
not be out there, and send a deauth attack to prevent it from using up air time
and prevent people from using it.  In this manner, the access point can’t
operator due to directed harmful interference, the deauth attack.  This is NOT
ALLOWED.  This would be like me brining in a LTE hotspot setting it on the
office desk and surfing with my cell phone or laptop on it vs the corp network.

Eric, maybe you can fill us in on what the two features are called on Ruckus so
that we know what their names are so that we don’t get them confused.

Dennis Burgess, CTO, Link Technologies, Inc.

den...@linktechs.net <mailto:den...@linktechs.net>  – 314-735-0270 –
www.linktechs.net <http://www.linktechs.net>