When I was at TWC, it was 0-5% unless you changed positions. It's an easy system.

I think in a small business, it's better to have a more flexible reward scheme for really valued employees, as it makes it much more likely they will continue to give 110% and continue to help improve the business, which is a net positive for everyone. If they don't do that already... 0-5% is easy.