From: "Fred Goldstein" <f...@interisle.net>
To: wireless@wispa.org
Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2016 8:42:46 AM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Big Guns align behind 3.5 ghz CBRS LTE

We are involved in this band, at WinnForum. That's where the standards are
being written. The FCC announced the rules last year and did a minor update of
them earlier this year. Now we're working with WinnForum to fix an oversight
that makes the band pretty much unusable by rural WISPs. ("What, your
installers don't carry a sat phone?") We expect to make progress, though.

The name Citizens Broadband Radio Service is really unfortunate. Press articles
about the CBRS Alliance are making jokes about "breaker-breaker good buddy",
and the article that Gino pointed to had a picture of a President Washington CB
transceiver. This band has nothing to do with CB and doesn't work a bit like
it. The only thing close to CB is that its rules were assigned to a new Part
96, while CB itself is Part 95 of 47 C.F.R. (the FCC rules). It probably should
have gotten a Part number in the 20s, though, down by cellular.

The FCC rules are by design technology-agnostic. The CBRS alliance looks like a
pro-LTE group. LTE is going to be the dominant technology, and some companies
think LTE will totally dominate the band, but some of our vendor members have
other uses for CBRS. Existing 3650-3700 MHz is being merged into CBRS, of
course, which is what led to its being frozen in April 2015. Some WiMAX
equipment could be upgraded, for instance, to be compliant. WinnForum has a
Coexistence Task Group working on ways to mitigate interference between
dissimilar technologies.

The big carriers are looking at this for "small cells", essentially a way to
add spectrum capacity relatively cheaply so they can sell more gigabytes of cat
videos to smartphone users. Assuming we fix the glitch in the rules, this will
also be a useful WISP band, especially in rural areas where the big boys don't
need additional capacity. After all, they already have 700 MHz, 800 MHz
(original cellular A&B), 1900 MHz PCS, 1700 MHz AWS-1, and soon 600 MHz if the
Incentive Auction now under way is successful at buying out TV licenses. In the
city, all those cat videos are clogging existing spectrum, but elsewhere CBRS
is likely to be their fourth or fifth choice.

Licensing is complex. As you probably know, there are "incumbents" (includes
currently-registered 3650 licenses), PALs, and GAA ("licensed by right" as a
variant of unlicensed). PAL merely grants priority over GAA in the Spectrum
Authorization System; it doesn't block off any frequencies. Rumor has it that
one of the very big national carriers plans to go all-GAA themselves. Since the
license area is a Census Tract, a PAL might be quite affordable for a rural
WISP, if you think it's worthwhile.

But making matters more complex is the need to protect fixed satellite earth
stations, as low as 3600 MHz. Plus the need to protect naval radar, the band's
primary owner. So the SASs will require radar detectors (ESC) in the field
before anyone can use the band outdoors within about a hundred miles of the
coasts. A ship pulling in to port might then force frequency changes. So the
actual use of this shared spectrum is going to be a complex multivariate
problem.