We are a small co-op WISP and one of our goals was to publicly document
what we do.  For some basic beginning info, take a look at:
http://www.auwireless.net/blog/

This is not to say this is the model or even the right way to start a WISP.
It is simply what we did. Some of it works, some of it was a mistake. One
of our future challenges we will face is we built a fairly flat network.
That works fine when we are small but as we grow, it is not going to scale
with us.  Think about where you want to grow and don't box yourself in with
hardware or topology decisions early on that you will regret. But, don't
over spend early on. Much of this stuff is cheap enough to "upgrade" after
a year or so.

Choose your RF vendor wisely... We field tested 5 different vendors in our
RF environment before choosing one that worked for us and was in our
budget. Don't let someone else tell you which is the best hardware because
that is what they use. It may be great advice but I suggest testing. Most
vendors or good suppliers will provide some demo gear for this purpose.

This mailing list has been great to us for help. Use the community and
forum pages on the vendor sites as well.  And, I'd strongly suggest finding
yourself a supplier you can trust and that will help you make good
decisions. Our supplier has run WISPs of varying size for decades and has
made a some mistakes as well as good decisions and is not embarrassed to
share and advise us.

On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 3:42 PM, Mark Limehouse <mark.limeho...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>   I am at the discovery and the beginning of research to start a WISP
> within my state (Wisconsin). My focus is to make this into a solid business
> model that I can build and expand eventually. I am taking my time I want to
> do this right and address all potential pitfalls or "gotchas" that may be
> known from a technology and provider standpoint. Would anyone be kind
> enough to offer up their suggestions or direct me to where I can obtain
> this kind of detail?
>

> Thanks in advance!
>
> Mark

AU Wireless (Golden Wireless)