On May 17, 2007, at 4:41 PM, Harvey, Michael wrote:

> I am a software engineer at Intel. We have developed a WiMax plugin
> for
> Wireshark and wish to contribute the source to the community. The
> source
> consists of two plugins, each in its own directory. There is really
> nothing to patch, except maybe the Makefiles.
>
> I would assume that you would not want to include our plugin with the
> normal distribution, since Wimax is a wireless protocol. This plugin
> is
> primarily of interest to Wimax developers who are using an
> Ethernet-based Mac to Mac protocol for test purposes, or those who are
> building wireless Wimax sniffer hardware. Anyone who uses this is
> probably going to need to modify it to work with their own
> Ethernet-based carrier protocol, so it's not really useful to casual
> users.

There's a *lot* of stuff in Wireshark already arguably "not useful to
casual users" - most users probably don't need, for example, the
Gryphon plugin (most users probably don't have Dearborn Group hardware
for plugging into cars), or the DOCSIS plugin (most users probably
aren't working with Cisco equipment at the cable company head end),
or....

As such, I don't see any reason why a WiMax plugin wouldn't be
something we'd want to distribute as part of Wireshark.