Hi Simon,

I help maintain the BACnet (bacnet, bacapp, bvlc) dissectors in
WireShark.  Sorry I didn't see your post sooner - I normally just scan
the subject lines for BACnet or BACapp or BVLC.

> Either under Chapter "GUI" or "Dissection":
> When a protocol is used on another port than Wireshark expects it to
> be (such as BACnet on UDP port 48560) the context sensitive menu Item
> "Decode as..." is GREAT, but finding what I need is not so great
> since only an abreviation (in above example BVLC) can be selected
> without any way of help. I suggest a tooltip when hovering over a
> selected protocol item with the same content as in help --> Supported
> Protocols  (in above example BVLC: BACnet Virtual Link Control).

Do you have a capture for this?  If so, I can look at what is required
for WireShark to analyze BACnet/IP on a UDP/IP port other than 47808.

> Dissector specific
> Item 19. What's the reason, the APDU part of BACnet/IP is not
> dissected? Is it just the workload (for which a solution can be
> found) or there a technical reason such as variable length, the
> BACnet specific solution of segmenting or other?

The APDU portion is dissected and mostly complete since Ethereal
0.10.11.  I will update the wishlist:
http://wiki.wireshark.org/WishList

Best Regards,

Steve