----- Original Message -----
From: "Ulf Lamping" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Developer support list for Wireshark" <wireshark-dev@wireshark.org>
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2007 2:01 PM
Subject: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [ntar-workers] Extending Wireshark libpcap
format support, or start using pcapng now ?!?

> Gianluca Varenni schrieb:
>> First of all, sorry for taking a bit of time to answer this thread, I was
>> working on libpcap/WinPcap. libpcap 1.0 is planned to come out soon...
>>
> No problem, a few hours is still a good value ;-)
>> It's true. Consider that PPI and pcap-ng/ntar have different objectives
>> (as
>> written in the PPI spec): PPI is used to append meta-information from
>> packets captured from a live source.
> Yes, I understand. But at least some of the meta info (like the capture
> interface info) is required already to be saved at capture time. So
> pcapng would in fact be a capture file format.

agreed

>> So no annotations like "oh, this is an
>> interesting packet".
> Yes, that would be done *after* the life capture was finished - and
> probably on a copy of the original capture file.
>> pcap-ng/NTAR is a trace file format. I would consider
>> pcap-ng/ntar a super-set of PPI
> ACK
>
> PPI might even get obsolete once pcapng is implemented in Wireshark and
> has gained wide acceptance.

uhm, pcap-ng serves a different purpose from PPI. Please remember that PPI
is what is received (in case of Airpcap) directly by the device driver (or
capture engine). I don't know if there can be problems in that. I simply
never tought about that...

>> The spec at www.winpcap.org/ntar is pretty stable. Back in March 2006 I
>> cleaned up the spec (some items were not clear) and added some
>> appendices.
>> There are still things missing, in particular the definition of blocks
>> for
>> easy navigation in the file.
>>
> I have reviewed that doc for a few hours today. Now I have a printout
> with lot's of minor comments probably worth to be included. Most of them
> is about clarifying stuff and make the document easier to read (well,
> and some typos). The only really questionable thing I found was the name
> resolution block. I don't see a reason to have optional block content
> and options as well - in fact it was hard to understand. Why not use
> only option fields there?

Uhm, i think i'm missing the point here. the block contains a list of dns
records in the form IP->name\0name\0, and then the options at the end of the
block itself.

> I guess it would be a good idea to include my review comments into the
> spec. What would be best way to get them included?

Just send them to me and i can include them. Otherwise, the XML source of
the document is available at

http://www.winpcap.org/ntar/draft/PCAP-DumpFileFormat.xml

just edit it and send it to me.

>> As far as I know, no. What do you mean by "low level"? A more
>> user-friendly
>> API like "OpenFile/ReadPacket/WritePacket/CloseFile"? One of the main
>> problems I had when developing NTAR was the richness and complexity of
>> the
>> format (e.g. the problem of multiple sections in a file, the support for
>> multiple interfaces within a section).
>>
> Yes, I guess one of the problematic things to include pcapng into
> Wireshark is to find a good interface between libwiretap and Wireshark
> (or probably no interface at all). There are a lot of new concepts in
> pcapng that has no counterpart in the current Wireshark implementation.

Yeah. Reading a pcap-ng file can give some headaches...

>> I can definitely create some trace files, either synthetic or real (with
>> ntar). A friend of mine developed a simple app to convert libpcap files
>> into
>> pcap-ng files. I need to have a look at it. It depends if you want simple
>> captures or something using the various features of pcap-ng (multiple
>> interfaces, multiple sections, different byte order in the file).
>>
> Some simple example files would be enough, it's only to find a starting
> point (but I'm not in a hurry about that).

Sure, I will do that in a couple days.

>> NTAR is still alive, but in the last year or so I didn't have any time to
>> work on it. In order to work within wireshark, the big missing feature is
>> relative to random access in the file. I have some code on my machine to
>> deal with that, but it doesn't work properly. I might have some time to
>> work
>> on it in the next weeks.
>>
> Yes, we need a way to handle random access in the file somehow.

I will see if i can work on in within a week or so. no promises :-)

> Regarding changes in the file itself while it's open: I guess the best
> way to include pcapng into WS is to treat the capture file read only (as
> today). Additional stuff has to be kept in memory (user comments, name
> resolvings, ...) until the capture file is saved to disk. After the file
> is saved, it has to be read completely again, so file offsets of packet
> data is "updated" in memory.

I would use the same approach, at least for v1. If it proves to be too
slow/inefficient, there's always time to improve it.

Have a nice day
GV