Joerg Mayer wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 04:28:02PM +0200, Balint Reczey wrote:
>> I think we should stay with the current policy of adding only bugfixes
>> to the stable branch.
>
> There have been minor non-bugfixes before - no need to be too strict.
> IIRC, there have been changes to e.g. the list of supported capture file
> formats in the past.
Yes, there have been, but personally I would prefer a strict bugfix-only
policy for stable branches.

>> In Debian, there is an ongoing discussion about allowing whole Wireshark
>> stable branch updates to enter Debian stable, but if we push new
>> functionality into the stable Wireshark branches, this does not seem to
>> be a good idea.
>
> That's for Debian to decide, but I don't see any reason that we should
> base *our* policy on Debian's policy. If we go about the changes carefully,
> maybe add some sort of Acked-By policy, which means that someone else who
> feels competent to evaluate that patch and the patch is not too complex,
> then why should't it go into the stable branch?
Yes it is our policy and we have no obligation to base it on others'.
I just wanted to point out that others may rely on our policy, and we
may consider their standpoint when changing our policy.

Cheers,
Balint