Hi Guy!  I hope your weekend was enjoyable.

On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 2:39 PM, Guy Harris <g...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> So presumably the IP protocol rider protocol has fields of its own.
>
> Does the IP protocol rider have an IP protocol number assigned to it, so
> that you have:
>        link-layer protocol
>        IP, with the IP protocol number having the value for the IP protocol
> rider protocol
>        IP protocol rider protocol
>        custom protocol
>        some protocol that normally runs directly atop IP
>
> or is this a non-standard encapsulation where you have:
>        link-layer protocol
>        IP, with the IP protocol number having the value for the protocol
> that's above the custom protocol
>        IP protocol rider protocol
>        custom protocol
>        some protocol that normally runs directly atop IP

The former.

The former can be done without modifying Wireshark, but not the way you're
> doing it.

What is the best way to do it?

I overcame the problem of the protocols not matching by seeing that the
protocol number copied over from IP to my IP rider and *supposedly* stored
in hf_[IPR protocol] field was incorrect.  It was 65,000 something when
printf'd.  What does hf_register_info do with that variable (hf_[IPR
protocol])?  I suppose telling it that it is an FT_UINT8 tells it how to
read it from the tvbuff_t.  Does all it do is use tvb_get_guint8()?  I had
to use that function manually to get the protocols to match correctly with
the ip_dissector_table.  Before that I tried casting it to a guint8 but that
didn't work.

It now works with the code I showed before, but I am getting this problem
now:
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/5582/malformed.gif

-Scott