On Oct 2, 2010, at 3:32 PM, Sake Blok wrote:

> Ah... thank you for pointing me to capture-wpcap.c, I was not aware of the
> intermediate layer to WinPcap.

Yes - we load WinPcap at run time; that dates back to before we bundled it with
Wireshark, so we could ship a single binary that worked, without capture
support, if you didn't have WinPcap installed and that worked, with capture
support, if you did.  capture-wpcap.c is a bunch of wrappers that call through
pointers fetched from the run-time-loaded WinPcap.

Note, BTW, that older versions of libpcap have neither pcap_compile_nopcap()
nor pcap_open_dead().  I can dig up the full history (I have the impression
that some versions of NetBSD have a pcap_compile_nopcap() with an extra
argument, for example) at some point.