The problem is that Wireshark is launched by a script settings paths and doing
whatnot and finally starting Wireshark from some (hidden?!) subfolder.

I have been using DDD with other automake built projects and had no such
problems there. That's why I believe that DDD's problem have something to do
with how Wireshark is set up and launched.