I digged in bit further and found where the SIGSEV is signaled. Its coming
from the p_stats(). Here is what i got in gdb

[New Thread 0xb78acb70 (LWP 3668)]

[Switching to Thread 0xb78acb70 (LWP 3668)]
0x00f6f433 in pcap_stats () from /usr/lib/libpcap.so.0.8

looks like the seg-fault if thrown by libpcap.

Has anyone else experianced the similar thing while using Wireshark 1.6.5
(im running it in Ubuntu on VirtualBox)?
I got this when i start wireshark from the command line through: *./wireshark
-k -i /tmp/pipe*

It waits for any input from the pipe and when i did "cat capturefile.pcap >
/tmp/pipe", wireshark displayed the contents partially (97 pckts out of 110)
and crashed with *Segmentation fault*.