On Mar 9, 2012, at 11:30 AM, Guy Harris wrote:

> On Mar 9, 2012, at 4:01 AM, Anders Broman wrote:
>
>> If I try to run /wireshark-gtk2/wireshark -k: 127 wireshark crashes in
>> file_util.c in  ws_load_library(gchar *library_name)
>>
>> library_name = 0xfffffffe <Bad Ptr>
>>
>> Ideas?
>
> The only ws_load_library calls I found are:
>
>       airpcap_loader.c:    if((AirpcapLib = ws_load_library("airpcap.dll"))
> == NULL)
>       nio-ie5.c:      HINSTANCE h = ws_load_library("wininet.dll");
>       ui/gtk/main.c:  ws_load_library("riched20.dll");
>
> which all pass string constants, so that *shouldn't* happen.

In addition, the airpcap_loader.c and ui/gtk/main.c calls look as if they
should happen before we even *see* the "-k" flag, and the third one doesn't
look as if it'll be done at all (it's part of some unused code for doing
automatic updates), so I'm not sure how the "-k" flag could make a difference -
but it does.

Anybody know how to arrange that, when Wireshark crashes when run from the
command line, the MSVC++ Express Edition debugger attaches to it?

(BTW, when I run wireshark with -k, it restarts after it crashes - is this
something Windows is doing automatically?)

> In the buildbot, it's also getting
>
>> (wireshark.exe:3500): Gtk-WARNING **: ToolsMenu|_Tools: missing action
>> ToolsMenu|_Tools
>>
>> (wireshark.exe:3500): Gtk-WARNING **: ToolsMenu|_Tools: missing action
>> ToolsMenu|_Tools

> and if I copy all the .lua files from epan/wslua into the plugins directory
> and run from the command line, I get similar warnings:
>
>> (wireshark:54301): Gtk-WARNING **: StatisticsMenu|Statistics: missing action
>> StatisticsMenu|Statistics
>>
>> (wireshark:54301): Gtk-WARNING **: StatisticsMenu|Statistics: missing action
>> StatisticsMenu|Statistics
>
> Is the Lua menu stuff not working with the new menu code?

That's a separate problem, and shows up even without "-k".