Guy Harris skrev 2012-05-11 05:02:
On May 10, 2012, at 1:24 AM, Anders Broman wrote:

- In the reassembly routines If I remember correctly, I might be wrong I think
we may waste memory for TCP. Fragments and reassembled fragments?
     - It might be possible to store file pointer and length rather than the
fragment data and read in that data when needed.
Possible in some cases, although when I thought about it recently I realized
that would only handle some cases.

If a reassembled packet is made up from other reassembled fragments (e.g., the
unlikely-in-real-life case of reassembly of TCP segments in fragmented IP
datagrams, or the more-likely case of higher-level packets reassembled from
lower-level packets reassembled from TCP segments), finding the underlying
chunks from the capture could be a bit of work and there wouldn't be a
one-to-one correspondence between chunks referred to by the reassembly data
structures and chunks from the capture file.

If a reassembled packet is made up from fragments extracted from decompressed
or decrypted packets, then the chunks referred to by the reassembly data
structures don't correspond *at all* to chunks from the capture file.
- Keep a sliding window of packets?
- A list of packets making up the fragment and re-read the packets as needed?
- Different reassembly routines for the odd cases? ( flags to the routines?)