On Apr 18, 2013, at 8:34 AM, okordy <oko...@o2.pl> wrote:

> Second idea: Fileshark
> I've been thinking of such project a long before GSoC was announced. I really
> miss such tool and I really would like to see it. So, I would be glad do it
> by myself during summer.
> I think, the main concern with this project is to use as much common code as
> possible and maintain UI consistency with Wireshark.

...except in those places where the UI *should* be different.  For example,
when showing a JPEG, Wireshark doesn't have multiple items in the "packet list"
pane, because the JPEG is in, for example, a single HTTP message.  However, in
Fileshark, the dissector might want to have separate items in the list pane for
different parts of the JPEG file.

> I think it would be reasonable to make it possible to use the same dissectors
> as for Wireshark

Yes, that's a lot of the point of Fileshark.