Hi all,

This mail is in reply to the mail sent (below) by Kostadin.

> I'm contacting you with an intent to request some further info about the
> task "Process Information" as found on the Wireshark's Google Summer of
> Code 2013 project page.
>
> After a short research on the matter, I cant help but suspect/am getting
> drawn to the conclusion that this task is too simple for a full project
> commitment, which is then again challenged by the thought I might be
> overlooking the complexity of it.

I'm interested to work on this project and I'm going to apply for it. Even
I thought it to be a simple task when I read it on the ideas page for the
first time. But after going through some related literature, I understand
that it would take a decent summer time to complete that task.

> This task seems like it can be done feasibly well by making a call in C to
> the commands netstat and tasklist on Windows and netstat or ss on Linux and
> looking up the port given in the Layer 4 packet info in Wireshark in the
> command output. But I dont know the time efficiency of this, so maybe a
> direct kernel access would be prefered?
>
> However I noticed that when looking up the port of an UDP packet, the port
> often closes quicky and cant be found in the table (I recall someone
> adressing this issue in the bug page given as a reference), so I suppose a
> solution to this could be a working set data structure, which remembers the
> set of recently used ports and their PIDs - as to reduce memory
> consumption. I would appreciate feedback on this idea.
>
> Yes, remembering the port in a struct form would be one task but you can't
just correlate a recently used port to any packet that comes within a
millisecond or a lesser time interval. Pardon me if I have understood your
"remembering" part wrong.

Also the methods of making a method to call netstat won't be efficient,
from my knowledge, since I believe that netstat relies polling mechanisms
which you can't rely on to capture short bursts of packets. Reason? The
same as above.

@others: Can anyone confirm that the Packet Information task is not so
simple (as it looks) as in just having a struct with a port number of a
network socket and pulling in info from existing tools like netstat, lsof
etc.?

I feel that packets should be handled at the kernel level i.e using
Netfilter's hooks and other kernel structures/objects

which can reveal the port information at Layer 3 or a packet's source
information at Layer 4.

It would be really grateful if someone brainstorms (with me) on this idea
so that it would be helpful for me to revise/update my proposal before
submitting it.

Thanks!

Best,

--