Hi Guy,

2013/7/15 Guy Harris <g...@alum.mit.edu>:

> On Jul 15, 2013, at 6:57 AM, Bálint Réczey <bal...@balintreczey.hu> wrote:
>
>> I think there is no clear preference.
>> sensible-pager and sensible-editor are mentioned [1] in Debian Policy
>> which gives direction to maintainers, but sensible browser is not.
>> There is an ongoing discussion [2] about updating the Policy with the
>> last comment recommending xdg-open for our case.
>>
>> Since  prefer having less patches and in my quick test xdg-open
>> behaved more reasonably than sensible-browser
>
> At least in our case, where I don't *think* we're handing it arbitrary
> strings that could end up opening things it shouldn't.
>
> Whilst doing some Web searching I found a 2009 thread:
>
>         http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2009/08/msg00020.html
>
> that raised some security issues about xdg-open; dunno whether the 2011 bug
> comment you cite (which also turned up in the searching) takes that into
> account.
>I don't know whether those issues are now considered "not a problem" or are
>otherwise fixed.
I think we always provide an URL to xdg-open thus the mentioned
security problem which is a bit questionable IMO, does not affect us.

> Note, BTW, that Qt's openURL code uses xdg-open, if found, on "generic UNIX",
> and doesn't appear to be patched by Debian to use sensible-browser instead.
> (I think it ends up using the same Launch Services stuff we do on OS X,
> albeit in Qt's case it does so through Cocoa, and it also uses the same Shell
> APIs on Windows.  wireshark-qt uses the openURL code.)
>
>> Note that wireshark must add dependency on xdg-utils to used xdg-open.
>
> "Dependency" in the Debian sense, or in some other sense?  Currently, the
> configure script tries to find xdg-open and, if that fails, falls back on
> using htmlview or mozilla, depending on which one it finds.
In Debian sense. Your concern is absolutely valid, I have already
added a build time dependency, too, to always detect xdg-open.
I just wanted to check the build in a new chroot before committing the change.

> (BTW, Qt's "generic UNIX" code appears to do the checks for various programs
> at *run* time, and, if it doesn't find xdg-open:
>
>         if the DEFAULT_BROWSER or BROWSER environment variable is set, use
> the first of those that's set (in that order) and, if that's an executable,
> uses that;
>
>         otherwise, if the desktop environment is (somehow) detected to be
> KDE, uses kfmclient;
>
>         otherwise, if the desktop environment is (somehow) detected to be
> GNOME, uses gnome-open;
>
>         otherwise, tries, in order, google-chrome, firefox, mozilla, and
> opera.)
We could do that, but the wireshark package now depends on xdg-utils,
and that guarantees the existence of xdg-open when we need it.

>> I think we could move this thread to wireshark-dev to document the
>> rationale behind the change.
>
> Sounds good.

Done, for this email, too. ;-)

Cheers,