On Oct 7, 2013, at 2:40 PM, Joerg Mayer <jma...@loplof.de> wrote:

> If I understand it correctly, he is talking about the backend:

Meaning "PIDL, the tool...".

I think it'd be a mistake to fork PIDL-the-language (or the protocol
descriptions written in PIDL-the-language) unless there are some places where
correct dissection, or sufficiently complete dissection for Wireshark's
purposes, or some useful new Wireshark feature, requires a *language* change
rather than, say, a specific-to-Wireshark conformance file.  Forking the
language or the protocol descriptions would make it more difficult to pick up
Samba's improvements to the PIDL descriptions.

If there's a reasonably standard interface into which backends plug, so that
the Samba team can maintain the front end and we can maintain the Wireshark
back end, then I think it would make sense for the Wireshark team to be the
ones who maintain the Wireshark backend, so that we can adapt it to our needs
without having to involve the Samba team (unless the interface between the
front and back ends needs to change for either Samba reasons or Wireshark
reasons; hopefully that won't happen very often if at all).