On Dec 19, 2014, at 4:24 PM, Matt <matta...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I believe wireshark may need to implement some data structures/GUIs
> helping with upcoming multipath protocols such as TRILL, SCTP, LISP,
> MPTCP...

This is not new.

For example, there's a certain protocol developed back in the mid 1980's in
which "conversations" should arguably include several different transport-layer
conversations - if you want to see the traffic between an NFS client and
server, you would probably want to, at minimum, see NFS *and* mount *and* lock
manager *and* status monitor *and* ACL protocol traffic (and perhaps some or
all portmapper/rpcbind traffic).

So the Wireshark notion of "conversation" (a term I prefer to "connection", as
not all conversations occur over a connection-oriented protocol, and "flow", as
I think of flows as unidirectional and conversations are bidirectional or even
multidirectional when they're not just *tete-a-tete*s) should probably be
generalized - and extended both up to protocols running on top of transport
protocols and down to link-layer and network-layer protocols.